PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Insulting Nigerian Aviation on Pprune
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 11:43
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...

that "race card" was sometimes played when I was looking on, not on me!

I remember once when I was on my way to lunch from the old Warri Airstrip, in a crew bus. Some local loon, who proved to have been nipping at the "ogogoro," backed out and slammed right into the side of our bus!

He came weaving out of his "beetle" to see why his car had stopped moving to be confronted by a group of guys dressed in uniform. The one of us who tried to reason with him was immediately told, "You ah YELLOW MAN!" That silly bush man just kept shouting that until some of his comrades began to gather with a certain air of menace so that we disentangled his dog-knotted little crap-box and went on our way in our remodelled crew bus. So someone who is pure black has right-of-way over someone who is mixed-race? Good thing to bear in mind, eh? Sounds like racism to me, but what do I know?

I am not particularly sensitive to this sort of stuff, not being much of a liberal, I guess, but I just noted it down for future reference when it happened and I tell you that it happened reasonably often in Nigeria. Bear in mind we are speaking here of a period of about 25 years. I am not saying that it was an every-day occurrence, just that the card often was pulled when you had someone there with his arm up to the elbow in the cookie jar; it was the last refuge.

You guys need to work on your presentation; I can tell you that much. Nigeria itself I enjoyed for the most part but not long ago I was asking my present boss if, say, I came up with a possible contract there, what about it? Ever seen a guy with a snake dropped in his lap? He couldn't back away fast enough from the idea of even thinking about it! Never been there, just heard all the stories. Too bad, eh?