PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I leave school? - Need advise
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 10:54
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mate,

DO NOT LEAVE SCHOOL before you do your VCE/HSC/etc.

Let me repeat that in case you were not getting my drift:

DO NOT LEAVE SCHOOL before you do your VCE/HSC/etc.

A couple of years' more education at your end is the BEST investment you will ever make.

Personally I'd then go onto do an aviation-related degree (uni is a lot of fun) but that is something you can come back to if you're so motivated.

Yes there are lots of stories out there about penniless migrants starting with nought and ending up billionaires but for most of us, some bit of educational attainment is worth several times its weight in gold along the way.

And even if the Big Q is the only show who currently demands your VCE (and I'd be surprised if VB did not, also) - you're 16, so who knows where life will lead you over the next 30-40 years? And who knows what

Start flying now if you want - toddle off to your local aero club or AAFC Flight where you might be able to access flying camps, etc. You will have to pass many exams to get to ATPL and beyond so the exam practice you get in school will be no load to carry.

Put it this way (and I'm not saying that anyone who, for whatever reason, did not stay to year 12) - requiring a VCE/HSC etc. is a standard. Would you, as a passenger, like to fly on an airline which did not at least require its pilots to have achieved certain educational standards?

One more thing - don't just do the time for your last two years; try to do well. Give it your best. The application you show in that, will be to yourself - as in, when presented with a challenge, you can say to yourself, "I know I can do this".

You don't know where life will lead you. Take a couple of years at this end and give yourself the best preparation you can. Finish Year 12.