PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDA's Liked or Not
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 08:05
Medway Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luton DownWind RH

'Many times I try the CDA but ATC bugger it up!!'
'Probably not a great example but going into Luton from the NW, trying to hit the Clippy level spot on only to get an early left and not via the lorel but a descent onto downwind for a tight base.'

Well I feel this is a little unfair to say... Luton Down wind RH are a courtesy, not a right! The STAR is via Lorel, adding at least 25-30 miles to your journey. The ATC sector you receive the vectors from for DWRH is one of the busiest, if not the busiest, in the London TMA. They give you the routing at or before clipy, this is, what, 40-45 miles notice that you will be getting a more expeditious route, and not doing the clipy, bombo, bky. busta, lorel gate route... DFC, would you prefer the standard route so you can perform your CDA, or would you rather travel 30 miles less?? Trust me, the STAR is a lot less work for ATC. To perform a downwind right, ATC must get you through LL wobuns, LC BPKs, Luton Olneys, SS Cpts, SS Buzads, basically every TMA departure to the North, as well as all the inbounds so we can get you to 5A/6A downwind the field.

Oh and in my humble opinion, a pilot that is briefed for this procedure is very often more capable, being a little bit lower at clipy, knowing this helps atc. Especially on 08, where the level restriction at Clipy is often too high to try and achieve FL60 at WCO, for a left base. This shortcut saves at least 50 miles, but if you ever watch it on radar, you get awfully close to the BNN hold. I've gotta say, easy pilots are very aware of this, and it is most appreciated, passing clipy well below FL150, which is the restriction.. Ryan's however... CDA's are all well and good, but sometimes, you just gotta get your butts down becuase of the traffic situation

Is there any truth that O'Leary's pilots are getting prizes for doing CDA's throughout the year??