PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fired engineer calls 787's plastic fuselage unsafe
Old 21st Jan 2008, 07:23
satos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Having established that the 787 is new and that racing cars crash "safely", was my question too difficult to answer or just too stupid to bother with?
The dynamics of car and airplane crashes are quite different. The regulatory requirements for race cars, passenger cars, transport airplanes, and light GA airplanes are quite different. How can you assume the experience with race cars applies directly to airplane fuselages?
A modern formula 1 car's tub is made entirely of carbon fiber.Watch a race where a f1 car has hit a solid retaining wall at high speed and see how well the tub absorbs the impact without breaking and the driver walking away with the only injury concussion.
F1 is a technically highly regulated sport and the tub has to pass stringent crash tests in order for it to be allowed to race.Teams spend millions in order to pass these crash tests.
I agree the dynamics of an airliner and an f1 car are not the same but if a f1 car tub can now be perfected to resist breaking in an accident and absorb the impact I'm sure the same can be done with a new aircraft such as the Boeing 787 dream liner.