PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB initial report out on BA B777 crash at LHR
Old 21st Jan 2008, 01:26
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The interesting thing is that you are required to achieve 2 gates on the CDA. 1000' should be fully configured in the landing configuration with the Vapp within 25 knots of landing speed and reducing. The engines do not need to be spooled up to approach power by this point but they need to be stable at approach power by 500'.
Unfortunately, that only applies to "you" -- not to me or MANY other Pilots who are not subject to BA SOP! CDA or otherwise, our "Stabilized Approach Policy" is:

A stabilized approach is when the airplane is in the landing configuration with the checklist complete, on airspeed, engines spooled up, and on the proper flight path. A stabilized approach must be established before descending below the following minimum stabilized approach heights, or a go-around is required:
• 500 feet above the TDZE during a VFR, visual, or straight-in instrument approach in VMC conditions.
• 1,000 feet above the TDZE during any straight-in instrument approach in IMC conditions.
So, the "160 to 4" (i.e., 160 knots to 1200', or 15 seconds prior to MY IMC "stabilized approach" gate) policy at LHR and other places makes it VERY difficult to adhere to MY airline's policy if I am flying a light airplane. Though we may make every attempt to comply, it will require a significant deviation from the policy and normal habit patterns when our target airspeed is in the 130 Kt range.