PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of RAF Data
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 01:21
D O Guerrero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazed...

Just for interest this is the reply I received after contacting the email hotline:
"Dear Sir
Thank you for your enquiry to MoD Recruitment Data Check.

I have checked the data base using the information you have supplied and I can advise there may be a record which relates to you held on the laptop.
If you require further information at this time can you please apply in writing to the address noted below and enclose photocopies of two of the following document

·A photocopy of the page of your passport with your photograph on it.
·A photocopy of your driving licence (both card and paper counterpart).
·A photocopy copy of a recent utility or other bill, such as a mobile phone bill showing your home address. We do not need to see the details of the bill, just the address
·A letter from your employer confirming your home address.
·A photocopy of any letter from a body such as your bank, building society or council showing your home address. We do not need to see the contents of the letter, just the address.

The address is: Recruit Data Check
Mail Point 403
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX

I have included some information:
What risk is there with this information being lost ?
MOD’s assessment is that the loss of data does not pose a significant risk to personal security.
We have already informed banks of the potential loss of data for the small proportion of records where bank account information was held. This means that banks have already been alerted to look for signs of any irregularities in these accounts and then to alert individuals.
In addition, at the request of the Home Office, the Association for Payment Clearing Services now play a leading role in raising the awareness of identity theft. Should you have internet access, you may wish to view their website which provides practical advice on to how minimize any potential problem as a result of potential loss of data. This website can be viewed at www.identitytheft.org.uk.

If I am one of the people affected, what should I do?
There are some practical steps you can take to make sure your information can’t be used to defraud you or for other criminal purposes.
You shouldn’t give out personal details if anyone contacts you unexpectedly but take a note of their name and telephone number.
If any of the passwords you use to access personal accounts (for example on the internet) use any of your personal data, for example your date of birth, you should consider changing them.

What steps have you taken to protect bank details?
If you are one of the people whose bank details may have been affected, we have already let your bank know about the theft and they are monitoring your account for signs of any unauthorised activity.
The banks and building societies have told us that they have the appropriate safeguards in place and that there is no need for you to ask for a new account or to contact them.
If your account is used fraudulently by someone else then you will not have to pay but you might wish to take some steps to protect yourself. If you receive bills, invoices or receipts or see entries in your statements for goods or services which you have not ordered you should contact your bank or building society immediately.

Yours faithfully,

MoD Recruitment Data Check"

I find it absolutely amazing that they can't even be arsed to apologise! And what makes them think I'm going to trust the MOD with copies of ANY important documents?
In the time since I submitted my application to the RN, I've had time to join, complete 9 years service, retire and move on.. What the devil do they need data on me on some idiot's laptop for?
Court martial him. And then send him to me...
Steward, my gun!