PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777, A very specific questions thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 01:18
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
777, A very specific questions thread

Could I suggest a "777, A very specific questions" thread?

By this, I mean just one point at a time being established and answered by people with specific knowledge of the subject.

By all means read in, but please let the experts answer.

Normally, I would put such a thread on the technical forum, but the Treble Seven accident is very serious. Thankfully not because of passenger injury, but because of what it means to Boeing and their customers worldwide.

If there is a computer fault it may be very, very difficult to prove. Electronic and software faults can be incredibly difficult to find. The intermittent ones, by their very nature, may not reoccur for literally years. Sometimes there is only the process of elimination left to designers and engineers.

Investigators will likely find the most probable cause, but during the history of accident investigation, there have always been those that disagreed with the findings, sometimes passionately. But there has not been any further investigative path to take.

There have probably never been so many people taking an interest in such an incident, and the fact that the whole world is asking why, is very significant. So, the more people that question the minutiae, the better. Something just might come out of the mist.

Could I kick off?

I recall special handling procedures for low fuel on the 727. Not rotating too far on an overshoot was one of them I believe. (This may have only been one companies's policy. I don't know.)

Are the reports of the apparent turn/roll/wing drop, reliable? If so, could this aircraft's control system allow a momentary side g-force long enough to slop minimal fuel away from the scavenge system and allow air into the fuel lines?