PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB initial report out on BA B777 crash at LHR
Old 20th Jan 2008, 23:53
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would commend Dinger X and Hand Solo for their excellent analysis of the real driving force here - PR. We are faced with a press who know little about flying generally, and absolutely nothing about the B777 specifically. Couple this to an insatiable public appetite for tit-bits and news editorial pressure for programs to be filled and you have a bottomless pit of disinformation. The inevitable result is endless speculation and intrusion, coupled to the creation of heroes today who may become villains tomorrow. The AAIB initial report is the only true knowledge that anyone on this forum really has, myself included. I have no doubt that the likely causes of this accident have already been narrowed down to a very small range of possibilities indeed. Quite rightly the few people who really do know what is going on are acting as the cautious professionals they are, and have chosen to remain silent until all doubt is removed.

For what it is worth, my take on the BA handling of this accident is that they have been absolutely faultless. They have provided just enough entertainment to throw the numpties off the scent for a few days, whilst ensuring their brand exudes professionalism and skill in the face of an impossible emergency. From clapping employees to suave looking crew on display to the world who say everything but tell nothing, they have done it exactly right. I do not blame them one bit, as they have acted wisely to protect their company from a loss of consumer confidence and all that would mean for BA. They have simply avoided turning a 'drama into a crisis'

Whilst we all await any real information, I am reminded of the immortal words of the former US Defense Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld -

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

Isn't that the truth?