PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow & other Oz offshore pay deals
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2008, 22:21
papa68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touring vs flying closer to home

movin' up,

Mate, it's all about the shirts - how many times do we need to go through this??? Sure AWBD wants to talk about pay and conditions etc (and he's perfectly entitled to his view of course) but that's just his view! It's clear to everyone else that attire is key here and CHC and the rest wear nice flying suits. It's a no brainer. AWBD - not a peep out of you thanks with your extremist and contrary views!

John Galt & 206L Driver,

Your views are noted but I don't think they're necessarily correct. Whilst there may be a couple of jobs that involve staying at home on pay similar to that of tourers, they are v few and far between. Most of the good jobs still pay well under $100,000 or thereabouts whilst a tourer will be paid approx $15,000 to $30,000+ more.

Some points to note when comparing the two types of employment:

1. If we take that difference to be approx $1,125 (average take home pay after tax at 40%), then it can (and does) make a difference to a lot of helo guys.

2. Many tourers don't pay for their food whilst on tour.

3. Most off-shore positions (if not all) have 4 weeks of leave (CHC has reportedly moved to 6 weeks). This means you should only be away for 5 months of the year.

4. Field leave is in 2 to 3 week blocks which allows tourers a lot of freedom to do other things in their spare time e.g. study, take o/s holidays, seek additional work etc.

5. The ability and potential for salaries to increase in the off-shore sector I believe are far greater than for that in EMS in the short to medium term. An ability to pay is one issue but a major factor I suspect is the inundation of ex-military types working in EMS using their pensions to top up what are otherwise lower salaries. When those eligible for pensions from the military dry up, then EMS salaries might improve somewhat, esp if they want to attract ex-mil types.

6. The off-shore sector has a "progression system" that brings in young and relatively inexperienced pilots and grooms them for command positions. Which EMS operator in Oz employs 500-1000 hr guys with no night or IFR experience, let alone multi-engine turbine time? For many entering the "big time", the off-shore operators provide the best intial and perhaps long term prospects.

Ultimately, it is an individual choice which depends v much on your circumstances and priorities. However, I don't think there is a case that there are plenty of jobs out there that pay like the off-shore sector but involve staying at home. If there were, we'd all be after them.

Just my thoughts...

P68