PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDA's Liked or Not
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2008, 21:38
Roffa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDAs and speed control enable me to stick aeroplanes down the approach 2.5nm apart without too much apparent pain in the cockpit.

At the moment it's probably the best compromise for maximising the landing rate whilst fitting in with environmental and aircraft operational constraints.

Change the emphasis more to suit environmental restrictions or allowing individual aircraft to fly the approach their own most efficient way, all of which will no doubt be slightly different once company SOPs are factored in, then the landing rate will undoubtedly take a hit.

No skin off my nose, I don't mind doing wider sequencing.

Someone, somewhere does have to decide what we're trying to achieve though as you can't, imo, have your cake and eat it in this respect. You can have the greenest of green approach profiles and less traffic, let each flight do their own thing approach profile and less traffic or the slightly less green alternative of CDAs/speed control and maximise the the traffic flow, but not all at the same time.

As long as its safe, I suspect whichever results in the greatest commercial gain will win out irrespective of what individual pilots may or may not like.