PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB initial report out on BA B777 crash at LHR
Old 20th Jan 2008, 20:37
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking in general, the only time I have seen a fuel temp of -42 degrees celsius was above Mongolia enroute to Bejing. OAT at that time, -72 degrees. We managed to stabilize the temp by increasing the cruise Mach. TOD came not so long after.

We would be subjected to those same temperatures on the way back, but normally we would be at a lower level and slightly higher OAT. The air would also get warmer as we progressed towards Europe. I have never seen an OAT of -71 degrees over Europe and UK. Until now.

As for Morphemes:

"Well sorry if I sound dismissive (which I am) but even several hours in very low temps won't send 30-odd tons of fuel below -47degC.

As well the obvious question - why didn't all the Far East-originating westbound traffic fall out of the sky together?"

A: You are wrong, and B: We take the neccessary steps to keep the fuel temp in check. It's part of the job and covered in the manuals.

I don't fly 777's so I cannot comment on how these aircraft cope with low OAT's, but I know one warning system on that BA 777 did not work (low thrust warning) and it's not impossible other warning systems were "out" too.

No, I don't think waxing was the cause, but it cannot be ruled out as a possible.

The same goes for ice ingestion. There was an Ice warning out for moderate icing around FL 90 (reported over BNN if I'm not mistaken). 9-10 degrees on ground. Possible, but not likely.

IMHO, Gentlemen!

BTW, that the engines failed to produce thrust doesn't neccessary mean they were turning at idle (or something like it).

And retracting flaps when you are in a no/low thust, low speed situation to begin with? Not something I would do, even if I managed to think about it.

They have the aircraft. They have the crew. They have the passengers. The facts will be on the table.

And I still take my hat off to the entire crew of BA 038.