PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Arabia - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 20th Jan 2008, 01:13
W Weasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Disclosure

It hasn't been two hours and I'm already received incoming. I figured I would get some flack on the housing opinion, but I stand by what I said. Several of our guys PMed me and disagreed. But here is what I say. I put it publicly for what I said before was also public.

I was accused of not fully disclosing myself. Well I felt every pilot at ABY knows who I am – at least those on the board.

OK for full disclosure to the rest of you. I retired from one of the largest airlines in the USA. I get a nice retirement check (deferred for USA tax purposes,) but I DO NOT SUBSIDIZE MY LIVING HERE WITH ANYTHING! I did work next door (EK,) before ABY, until we S-canned each other. They did not like me, my attitude and I was not going to put up with their BS - I worked in the “real world.”

Yes, I did meet a few “locals” over the years and one is a partner in another business I have here. That business, while gaining me some access, also does not subsidize my living – I DO NOT TAKE ONE CENT FOR CURRENT PERSONAL USE!

I live exactly like every other pilot at ABY and anyone that knows me, knows I dance to a different drummer. I do not follow the party line I simply fly airplanes.

One repeated theme was my ownership of company stock. That is true I do own a lot of stock, but please understand. When I came, the company was a baby. No one knew who Air Arabia was not alone wanted to fly on them. Yes, I personally talked with the CEO and asked about stock – it was in his plan. Mr. Ali is a man of his word and has an open door policy for EVERY pilot. You may not like the answer, but you can take it to the bank, unlike most CEOs I have known over the years (as an ALPA member, I walked the line with the Continental guys in October 83 over Frank Lorenzo)

So yes, I bought stock and currently I own a lot of it. I have pilot friends at FedEx (SD) and Southwest (LF) that made a killing with stock in a company that had a good idea. I am not saying Adel Ali is a Fred Smith or Herb Kelleher, but he is pretty sharp. I simply wanted to ride his coat-tails and he gave EVERY pilot the SAME opportunity to do that.

You can take a horse (or camel) to water; but you can not make it drink the water.

The quarter of a million shares was given to every Captain and the ability to buy additional cheap shares was offered to every pilot – I simply took advantage and bought a whole lot more – I am not ashamed for it was NOT SPECIAL TREATMENT.

But please guys think about it. If my statements were based upon my portfolio, do you think, as a stockholder I would care WHO flies the planes? Do you think I would give a S about housing for pilots, skeds, benefits etc? I have been instrumental in many of the programs here at G9 in an attempt to make it better for the pilots (mostly unsuccessful but a few triumphs.)

So in full disclosure, I stand by my facts. Yes if you want to live in the high rent district of Dubai, you will loose in the housing game – heck the medium rent district today. AIR ARABIA IS BASED IN SHARJAH! No, I repeat, no airline in the world cares where you live, but where you live is directly proportional to your quality of life.

You want to live close to work, in nice areas, close to good schools where your kids don’t have to spend an hour on a bus to and from school; housing will cost you a fraction. Your choice! I know all the arguments, it does not matter. You can tell me a Romeo & Juliet is bad for my health but I LIKE CIGARS! So you can be healthy and die like Jim Fix or I can go out like George Burns.

My Argument by which I stand:

It IS FULLY POSSIBLE TO FIND A LARGE VILLA (OVER 300 SQ METERS) FOR UNDER 120K A YEAR! (120 is a high number for they exist – new units – under a 100 but you have to look. Not where every one else from your country is living, but they exist. Think outside the box guys – well I guess we do drive a bus – TCAS below! WHY at 260?

You have the lead

Burners and Out

Last edited by W Weasel; 20th Jan 2008 at 08:52.