PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Insulting Nigerian Aviation on Pprune
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2008, 17:22
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm I thought long and hard before I decided to comment on this thread.

BALEWA I do not think that your planned action serves the best interests of Nigerians. It is divisive and would only give those who like to deride Nigeria more ammunition to distort and misuse.

I like the idea put forward earlier that the way to defeat the bigots is a charm offensive rather than aggression. My views on Nigeria are favourable because my time there was very enjoyable, and it was made enjoyable by the people I worked with, and those I encountered in other companies and socially. This mix of people who made my time enjoyable were from many nationalities, but predominantly Nigerian and Ghanaian.

I was shown around V.I.and Lagos Island by one of our drivers on a quiet Sunday morning. He was pleased to have someone who wanted to see around the area rather than just sit in the hotel bar swapping horror stories. We even went for a stroll down Bar Beach. We were hassled a little by beach hawkers but a firm 'no thank you' saw them disappear. It isn't a holiday beach by any means but it had a lot of people on it enjoying the simple act of being by the ocean. The beaches near Lekki have potential to be very nice beaches.

I think your actions could take away the opportunity for an expat to explore Nigeria, and instead create an atmosphere of distrust and dislike.

Someone else stated that the majority of expats doing the moaning on here are not those who stay and take part in life, but those who come and do not get on with the hustle bustle and hardships of life in Lagos. I think that is fair comment.

Me, I have forgotten about the dreadful roads, the constant power cuts and the high price of Star and Gulder......... but I remember clearly the laughter and fun that I had on nights out on V.I. with my Nigerian colleagues. Bacchus Bar in Ikoyi with it's customers all 'dressed to impress' is as good an up market bar as you'll get anywhere, and there are others as well.

To overcome the negativity it needs Nigerians to be better people than those hurling the insults. They need to continue to offer the hand of friendship, even if the hand is ignored by a few for the first few times. There are many more decent Nigerians than there are crooks and ne'er do wells, and it is their voice of friendship that needs to be heard.

Jamex what was the point of your post? If you cannot see the difficulties in SA at the moment then you are indeed blinkered. Not all the crime is carried out by foreigners, and your government is not exactly squeaky clean if some of the allegations agianst some senior members of it are to be believed.

Balewa take a deep breath, and don't let the vitriol get to you.