PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Unionization
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2008, 02:53
Wonder Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of luck to all the airline pilots associations with their efforts to unionise ryanair. And it will take an enormous amount of effort. Unfortunately there still exists a disappointing level of short sightedness and lack of cohones within a critical threshold of the pilot body.

I believe it is essential that ryanair pilots develop the organisational tools to threaten strike with credibility or if necessary, implement it.

To this people say:

'But ryanair as a company financially strong enough to absorb any length of strike action'

In fact O' Leary has said this himself quite publicly on a number of occasions. He has actually dared his pilots to go on strike! But as we all know well by now, the only time we can be sure he isn't telling a lie is when his mouth is closed. O' Leary says this continually for a reason: It is because he IS concerned about the potentially devasting effects of a strike.

Ryanair is like a shark in the sea: it has to keep moving forward to breathe. Low cost product and high rate of expansion mean that continuous operations are essential to ensure profit. Costs of simply keeping 100+ aircraft sitting on the tarmac for a few weeks are actually quite staggering.

But as Michael would say this is all a 'pipedream'. He might even believe it when he considers how successful his efforts have been to create a divided pilot body where many look only as far as medium term security for themselves or their familes.

But the extent of condecending abuse that many ryanair pilots idly accept from ryanair management, not only impacts themselves and their families. It also deprives the remaining majority within the company of well deserved conditions and respect.

Not only that but the apathy of ryanair pilots constituting the 'critical threshold' are affecting terms and conditions across many airlines. Managements all around europe are successfully re-negoting lower pilot salaries stating that it is vital in order to maintain competitiveness against strong performers like ryanair where the cost base is so low.

I'm aware that there are logistical problems to sustaining a union (or unions) within ryanair: i.e. the high rate of FO resignation for greener pastures - movement of pilots around bases to interrupt cohesion - contract pilots - effective communication in the presence of a highly ruthless management ... etc

All I can say is that I am hopeful and that I implore you to consider the responsibility you may wish to take for 'the career of the airline pilot'.