PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2008, 22:33
vlieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply, 7120.

In the meantime I have done my medical class 1 at Gatwick and guess what, I passed!!

You were right, as long as you meet the requirement the question of "early" glaucoma is irrelevant. Their ophthalmologist even said that he doesn't consider my case glaucoma but just ocular hypertension (contrary to what they said in Moorefield). Their testing didn't involve the confrontation technique but I had to do a proper field test that I had never done before, i.e. not the normal one -- this time it was a so-called "monocular Estermann" test, which basically means a field test concentrating on the very outer periphery. I only had very minor faults so they said it was alright, they checked my eye pressure, which has been brought down from 24-26 to 14 with my daily Travatan drops, and that was it...

I found them to be very friendly and the ophthalmologist is a very relaxed guy who's a pilot himself, we ended up more chatting about which school to go to than about vision

So anyway, if there's anybody else in a similar border case scenario as I am, be aware that there is hope! (and please do get in touch)

Now off to get a visa...