PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2008, 21:21
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maggott17 wrote:

Have you ever been supersonic Dick? It takes a little while to slow down.
There are no (intentional) transonic or supersonic operations within, or anywhere near, for that matter.... the WLM CTA, so what is the point you are trying to make (apart from the obvious that all you've posted for is to join the mob mentality...)?

All S/S ops take place a set distance off-shore. When Salt Ash fires up there are abrupt vertical manouvres, but in all honesty the lowest they ever seem to get in there is around 1500'. How do I know? I live next to it and enjoy the show out my back windows daily.

Klaus Fuchs wrote:

And becoming increasingly abusive with his opinion of "the military people in Canberra" - almost slanderous one might say.
Rubbish. They answer to the general public through the incumbent government. Dick asked a question and is due an answer. He does have a valid point in many ways.

I (like many others) have operated in (at some stage or other over recent years) most of the Military Control Zones in this country and in all honesty by far the most "different" to the normal operations is Williamtown. Do not (for even a moment) get me wrong, there are some great controllers there, just some very peculiar methods used locally from time to time.

One instance, bear in mind this is RPT ops: Had a request to change level due wx refused while an approach/departure controller was having a "light hearted" conversation with a visiting military aircraft inbound around 25-30nm the other side of the aerodrome. Came back with "Require FL140 immediately"..... her first response was "Why do you need FL140 due wx?" so then I had to explain myself without the time to do so....

It all comes down to training and education as to what civil aircraft need. If we all take a big breath and try and see it from the other's point of view you never know, change just may happen if you can all sit down and agree. For those of you unaware, The WLM CTR is a big roadblock to much of the civil VFR traffic heading north out of Bankstown and has significant impact on Cessnock and Maitland as well.

Klaus Fuchs also wrote:

Without knowing all the ins and outs of WLM, I do believe TWR owns the circuit area overland under VMC, with this airspace taken back by approach when instrument recoveries are required due weather. So you are incorrect in your assumption that TWR doesn't own any airspace - it's just not the bit that interests you.
Incorrect at the moment. Just yesterday was "Cleared the ILS and contact the tower at 11 DME" when we had been in IMC from around FL110 all the way down to when the HIALS swum into view at around 400 feet. Unless they are trying something new?

I know Dick Bashing is a sport to some of you, but in all honesty there are easier ways to handle traffic than "Hold at" or "Clearance not available". If civil controllers can do it on a daily basis then why do (some and only some) military controllers find it difficult to do the same thing?

Regards,

OpsN.