PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Unravels
Thread: Qantas Unravels
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2008, 11:52
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this dreaming and also past tense, but in the eighties QF was in big trouble, financally, bad morale, (seems like it never finishes doesn't it) but the then chiefs Menadue and Yates saw the natives were restless, and called a huge meeting outside H271. everybody who could go went, from the pilots to the seat installers to the engineers to the bloke on the gate, they told us what was happening, we told them what was happening. There had been bad decisions, no apprenticeship schemes, which turned out to be neally fatal to the company, QF was top heavy with middle management (again!) and the company was basically broke. But the amazing thing was we all TALKED, with each other, it did not matter what part of the company you came from, we, that day TALKED. And the outcome? We told management that we would all pull our weight if they did, and you will find this hard to believe in this era of me, me, me, we all did. All power not being used was switched off, all plumbing was checked for leaks, people stayed back but did not apply for overtime, the pilots almost did handstands trying to save fuel, (and this is going to send you over the side) in six months time the company started to come good with higher pax yield, and less money outgoing, and wait for it, these two bosses came around all the hangers, crew rooms, canteens, and offices for a couple of days THANKING everybody Of course there were cynics, and those who didn't give a S$#t, but a hell of a lot did care and acted upon it. Off course we are in a different era, but we are still human beings, and if you don't treat people like mushrooms,and you come out of your ivory tower and COMMUNICATE, people will start to listen, and if you behave like Menadue and Yates who included YOU in the running of the company, QF like a huge slowly turning ship will start to change her course with a far happier crew. It is not hard.I know I am dreaming, but jeez the right boss could do it and bring the company back to straight and level. We can all but hope