PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Caravan engine failure in TSV
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2008, 10:58
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yr right werbil in those 2 cases the outcome wasn't defined, lucky them!. But given one single pax death resulting from a charter flight in a SE in IMC in OZ the whole industry would be rocked, is it really worth it? I think not, but like you we all have our feelings & opinions based on freedom of speech

All posts in here that support SE IMC Chtr either say 'given these circumstances' or 'should' "or most of the time" (as in glide that far) they would make it down safe, there all plausable, but where not talking about "most" of the time here we are (well I am anyway) talking about that perhaps one in a million chance (where it doesn't have to be if it where not allowed in the first place) that yr caught over tiger country in a "man made glider" at night in cloud with a very slim chance of surviving. As you would realise it's not just the impact to survive it's the environment also. At the above mythical crash site in winter you'd be lucky to survive the night before rescue!
Twin flying has almost the same amount of risks generally as a SE, but not quite, & that might be all it takes to be here writing this rather than being
worm food !
Horses for courses, SE flying, great, love it, we've all done it & there's always a risk, but why make that risk even higher by leaving yr options very slim?

Me to not happy flying about in that tiger country in a C414 (shhheeez could you pick a worse plane?) or PA31 but we had little choice once upon a time. Yr a braver man than most I'd say Werbil if yr comfy with SE flying over tiger country/open water in IMC.
Most are fortunate they fly for fun in the sun or either have 2 engs for safety reasons in their 'mounts', hats of to those that have no or little choice.

Good chatting werbil

CW