PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Situation In Lagos
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2008, 10:37
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Alpha thingy.............

Yup there is corruption in Nigeria, and yup they are slowly trying to stop it. Most of the corruption is at a far higher level, and for greater amounts of money, than CJ as a pilot of a biz jet will encounter

Quoting statistics is all very well, but do you run your life by them? When you visit America do you automatically believe that you will become a victim of gun crime in the Cities that are at the top of that league table? When you go to Moss Side in Manchester would you expect to get caught in a gun battle between waring drug cartels on the estate? This crime exists in Countries where the police forces are well looked after and well paid, yet there are still instances of 'bent' police taking bribes.

Like all things in life we manage the risk, otherwise we wouldn't do anything ever.

You're right when you and others suggest that perspective goes out of the window whenever Nigeria is mentioned. Those who dislike the place attack hard with innuendo, preconceived views that are often gained 3rd or 4th hand, and often what they say relates back 20-30 years rather than being current and is inaccurate. This then prompts those who have the opposite view to defend vigourously because they can see that change is happening and things are improving. Not yet to a level whereby it is a favourite on the weekend break holiday brochures, but it is improving slowly.

I stand by my comments that I had a very enjoyable time during my contract there and travelled to many different parts of the country. The people I met with were great fun to be around and most were very good at their jobs. Considering the difficulties of the daily life in areas such as Oshodi and the huge numbers of people packed into Lagos I think it is a credit to those who live there that the levels of violence are not greater.