PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I believe he's holding it the wrong way round
Old 17th Jan 2008, 09:27
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seldomfitforpurpose reiterated for our benefit: "said it before but will say it again "
Lucky us.

It would be remiss of me not to remind a serving member of the military that much of what the RAF does is now done by civvies? Honestly, its true. Not like in my day of course, but then again, time marches on and things improve. When I joined up lad, admin clerks on units still actually used.. 'cardex' and didn't have sophisticated computerised systems optmised for administrative efficiency and performance that you seem to benefit from today. But it seems that you can't wait to put it all behind you? Surely it hasn't been that bad? Think of all those years wasted, doing something that you cant wait to forget about . So although I seem to have committed the cardinal sin of having 3.85 posts during billable time, at least I tend not to do it in my own time.

(.. tamps down baccy in pipe and looks down affectionately at the misty eyes youngster) I look back with much happiness on my time nipper, but I don't and won't deny it ever happened. Since leaving, I've travelled the world in a slightly more salubrious manner than I was previously used to, I have taken phone calls from F1 champs (no, I don't work on the BBC switchboard) and the highlight? Going up the Hill at Goodwood. And you know something? When the Reds went over afterwards, I felt 100% proud that I had been just ever so loosely, a part of that. There, said it - 'proud'. Ughh!!

And how's this for a dull story to finish off with, one that you can smugly take the p#ss out of? I attested 25 years ago tomorrow. I took the oath of allegiance next to my oldest friend and together, we travelled to to Swinderby. We were allocated bed spaces next to each other, took our rifle Tests of Elementary Training together, finished the BFT together (he physically pulled me along) and were 3 places apart when we passed out. He failed an inspection, so instead of us all going to see ET in our first weekend leave pass, we stayed to help him prepare his kit for jankers, and stagging on. Childish and freakish to someone like you, maybe. He wanted to be commisioned, but at that point in time his sense of ambition seems to have deserted him. He became an aircraft technician and it was up to me to climb the loftier peaks. Of Catterick. Per ardua.

All the best, and at least we now know we only have 4 years to wait.