PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Katherine Aerodrome
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2008, 07:21
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crogs:
My memory is fading but I thought that Katherin FS closed just before Cyclone Tracey and then was reopened after the event. Might be wrong though.
The KN FSU officially closed at 0539 UTC on 26 April 1978. The airport was formally de-commissioned as a licenced aerodrome at the same time but continued to operate as an ALA until the mid-'80s.

The unit originally commenced in April 1942 as "Katherine Aeradio" and the DCA Aeradio operators lived and provided the service from tents located near the old airport. In June 1942, the Aeradio unit was moved to a private residence near the civil hospital and stayed there until 29 October 1945 whereupon it moved to the old FSU building which is now the Historical Society building.

PPruners may be interested in some excerpts that describe what life was like as a DCA Aeradio operator at the time:
On arrival at this station I was very surprised to see the conditions under which the C.A. staff were carrying out their duties and living. The staff have tents and beds and so sleeping conditions are not so bad. Cooking is carried out in a small stove situated in the open and partially screened by a few sheets of galvanised iron. Messing takes place under a taupaulin spread over a wooden frame and no side protection from wind and dust. The actual operation of W/T is carried out in a primitive shelter which boasts of a so-called concrete floor with practically no protection from winds and the ever-present dust.

....Actually I am amazed that the radio functions under such conditions especially when it has been noted that every care is taken at other stations to combat the dust question. Sanitary conditions are very primitive and the flies are evident in their millions!

Generally, the conditions at Civil Aviation Station at Katherine are very trying and staff have endeavoured to make the best of things and they deserve credit for the way in which they carry out their duties under such conditions.
Somehow, I just can't see the modern ATS officer putting up with these conditions in order to serve the interests of Airservices or the aviation public.