PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barotrauma leading to tinnitus?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 22:19
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
You may feel that this is bad news and good news, but it's only my case remember.

Following a period of pistol shooting, then some intense flying duties including 13 months of training, then doing the night run to fit in line-checks, I noticed the first signs of the noise. It's still there 25 years later.

I had suffered recent pain in the area around the ears. Even a pillow hurt as I moved at night. I had also been prescribed Tetracycline. Some say this caused tinnitus in some patients.

The pain got better, but the tinnitus that started about that time did not. I have no way of knowing what was causal, but there was probably some damage caused by firing 44 magnums and the like. There was no sustained symptoms until the infection however.

The good news is that despite being profoundly affected by it at first, I soon found that it was just there, a fact of life. I was/am passionate about classical piano, and I feared that it would affect my high-end appreciation of fine instruments, but strangely, I can still hear the tonal quality of the high notes.

Your's may clear up, but if it doesn't, it will probably subside to acceptable levels.

To this day, when I have an infection, it gets worse.

You may not believe that you will get used to it, but if the worst happens and it remains, you can be sure that you will hardly notice it 99% of the time.