PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close air support at its finest, from the squaddie's perspective
Old 16th Jan 2008, 21:41
recce_FAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a FAC's point of view,I am happy with the CAS we get from the RAF. All the A/C the RAF use for CAS have there good points and not so good points.I agree a gun is need on all A/C that are required to conduct CAS,I have worked with TYPHOON last year on SPTA and I was pretty impressed with the way we are FAC's were able to ''positively'' control the jet.The really impressive thing was the lead A/C called ''stores'' whilst he was upside down.We put it down to one of two reasons either he was an EX F-3 pilot so he didnt know what he was doing or (and my preferred option) he was a big timing show off.The guys on the ground that we were supporting with CAS were none the wiser anyway.

With ref to the yanks and CAS,well they are not as flexible as the RAF,it takes them ages to even get permission to come below 5 grand where a Tonka from II sqn would happily pop down to 50 ft when the need was there.Ok it was Iraq but thats when you need it. USN are very anal and will only accept a nato 9 line no matter how ''rushed'' you are,F-16 guys are tip top but do sound as if there having a heart attack and F-15E's are pretty damn good as well especially if the backseater has a sexy southern states accent(girl before you ask).Give me RAF any day,I like Tonkas because two sets of ears means you can talk quicker,two sets of eyes means you can prosecute the target quicker.

Just my two pennies worth.