PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 16th Jan 2008, 21:25
jm1706

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Advice

I am currently in my second year at Southampton University studying a degree in Archaeology; chosen as I wanted to do something that I found interesting. I have 10 GCES, 1 A/S and 4 A levels with an NVQ in door supervision and a MV award for over 200 hours of voluntary community service.

Over the last year I have been considering my options and having thought long and hard about it, I wish to become a pilot in the RAF; ideally as a fast jet pilot but with no reference as to which type. I am currently 6"2" (188cm) weighing a 102kg (which I know is too heavy, but can easily be lost), I am reasonable fit and I am able to run 1.5 miles in 9.33 minutes. I am a keen sportsman, having reached county level for swimming, hockey and rugby, which further led on to trials for South West England. My health is excellent, apart from the occasional hangover once a week and I have 20/20 vision.

The only problem I have is my experience. My UAS only selects applicants in October and unfortunately at that point I wasn't totally sure if I wanted to join the RAF. This was the last chance that I could join as the UAS states that those wishing to join can only do so if they have 5 Terms left of their degree. Unfortunately I only have 4 left and so cannot join, meaning that I miss out on the chance to fly the Goblet and gain any experience. Furthermore as a Student it is hard to fund and find time to go out and learn to fly.

I know that I want to join the RAF and I have the qualities needed to become a Flying Officer. But what can I do to increase my experience? I know work experience is an option but it is very hard to put time aside whilst doing my degree, even more so during the summer as I am put on an eight week permanent work placement for my degree. I do know that as soon as my degree is finished I will head down to my local AFCO and sign up.

Any advice on what I can do would be grateful. Is flying experience needed? Is it essential to become a flying officer? I know how hard the work is for the RAF as I would be the 3rd generation of my family to join the air force and therefore I do have a little experience of what the day to day life is like.

If anyone could give me some advice it would appreciated

Thank You