PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amusing and curious incidents as a passenger.
Old 16th Jan 2008, 15:56
pzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fron the '70's

Working in DXB in '71 due home for Xmas

Only avail flight was Malaysian-Singapore from BAH;

Trouble was they didn't have rights BAH - LHR, deal was GF milk run DXB-BAH then MSA BAH - Rome think it was FCO and shortly out of Rome advise Purser that you were going to LHR

He would then arrange for you to be held at bottom of steps in Rome and ID bags to reboard - apparently this was a regular occurence;

Duly advised Purser and he said OK - 1 1/2 hours later announcement that due WX we were overflying Rome and heading for LHR

On arrival at LHR announcement for Rome pax to ID themselves, collect luggage for transfer to Rome flight

AAH - sorry missed my meeting will stay in LHR, this way I held onto the Rome - LHR coupon and some time later got some travel vouchers in return

At that time I used to get company paid ticket to LHR & UK travel allowance £40 per round trip

Home base was MME and BD didn't do add on fares, ret LHRMME was £40, not bad at least it was break even

Then I learn't of a money saving scheme book LHR/NCL return at £20, and on arrival at LHR plead with North East as it then was that DNATA in DXB HAD SCREWED UP AAGAIN!!! they then assigned ticket to BD (for round trip) and I'd saved £20!!!

If you haven't gathered I'm a Yorkshireman!!! mid '70s DXB tickets were well stitched up by DNATA, Economy was £300 return or if you couldd get it a 7-28 day return was £200 (all approx)

Had to make a quick trip to UK for family reasons didn't want to pay £200 never mind £300; only alternative was use Kanoo's (I think) who could do Ethiopian, Saudi or Syrian Arab at cut price;

Opted for Syrian Arab for £120 return

DXB - DHA - DAM then 4 hours and DAM - LHR via various points in Europe I think it was Rome. & Paris

DXB - DAM was a Caravelle ex DEL and full of hippies - Joss sticks were burning on take off!!!
Asked for a drink to calm my nerves - no beer - OK scotch promptly served a standard 75cl bottle of Johnnie Walker Red Label - £1 sterling!!!

Flight had been delayed and on arrival in DAM were hustled through Passport Control for immediate backloading, a German hippie about 3 in front of me pulled a Syran Arab official over (he was heading downtown for a 24 hr layover prior to heading to Munich)

Conversation went something like this

German
"I understand it is verboeten to have an Israeli stamp in your passport?"
Syrian - going white & shaking
"Yes"
German
"What happens now?"
Syrian
"come with me" and diverting him to one side
German
"Where am I going"
Syrian
"on the next Flight!!!"
German
"Where???"
Syrian
" I don't care - Rome, Paris or London" as he side tracked him round Passport Control
Meanwhile those in earshot were doing ther best to stand clear - just in case it did hit the FAN!!!

On arrival at LHR it was about ZERO and the hippies were still in their 'homespun' on the bus in from the qaircraft!!!
They also seemed HURT when they attracted the attention of HM Customs