PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 15:39
Captain Buck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
212 man and HC do make valid points, particularly concerning the rate of failures of the GE CT7. After all in the military as the T700 on the Blackhawk/Apache and in civil use as the CT7 on the 214ST it seems to have been much more reliable. Does 212 man know of any major design changes made to it as fitted in the S92? If the engines are now failing to meet the CS/FAR requirement for a failure probability of 1x10-5 per flight hour then its operation in the North Sea may well be at risk if the JAA take an interest and in the USA the larger oil companies may be worried about being sued over a lack of duty of care if the required criteria of ICAO attachment A on Risk Assessment are shown to no longer be valid. I'm sure Sikorsky and GE must be taking the matter seriously by now and if past experience is anything to go by, they'll be burning the midnight oil trying to find a fix in case they get hit in the pocketbook by either a reduction in forecast orders or the prospect of a Class action if another failure leads to the death or injury of someone after it's known not to be meeting required reliability criteria.

I have no ax to grind regarding either aircraft as I fly neither Sikorsky, nor Eurocopter products at present and don't expect to in the near future.