PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 13:29
Lear70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interview started at 1800 local time. I was the only person interviewing, the 2nd person bailed at the last second, got hired by Emirates. 5 panel interview, 3 Check Captains, 2 H.R. personnel. They didn’t smile a whole lot, but were VERY pleasant and professional. I think the only brusque/rude person I met my entire trip was the first taxi driver,,, everyone is very nice, overly so.

The interview was lead off by one of the H.R. interviewers, who had the schedule for the interview written on the board and went over it anyway. They all speak passably good English, some more than others. I can only give the same advice others have given. Speak quietly. Relax. Don’t be aggressive or assertive or loud. Smile, but don’t laugh or joke. Keep your hands on the table in plain site, it’s considered discourteous to “hide” your hands out of sight (don’t know why).

Orientation 1800 - 1830. Panel interview (normally one-on-one if more than one candidate interviewing) 1830 - 1930. Simulator 2000 – 2130. H.R. person went on to explain the background of AJX / AJV, when it was formulated, ANA interaction, etc.

Simulator briefing followed. Very similar to profile received via email EXCEPT a few notes (I don’t know if it was this instructor or company standard).
- Speeds are called out SPECIFICALLY for the profile, not “Set Speed Vref + 30”. Call out the exact speed, such as “Flaps 5, set 170” (which is Vref of 130+40).
- Note that the S.E. Vref speed is 139 + 5 = 144 kts.
- On each takeoff, at 500 feet they want HDG SEL, not LNAV (which only gets used once).
- On each takeoff at 1,500 feet they do NOT want V/S as is in the profile, they want FLCH, set speed 190, clean up to Flaps 1 only. I never, ever got flaps completely up and the briefing was very specific to go only to Flaps 1 on the approach.
- On the VOR approach, the profile says disconnect A/P and A/T *AFTER* joining the course. They wanted them disconnected *BEFORE* joining, just like the ILS Localizer.
- Note: On flaps retraction, the rest of the callouts aren’t done until the flaps are actually at the new position.
-

AJX Simulator Profile

Normal Takeoff #1 – Clean up only to Flaps 1 and Vref + 60

1. Enter aircraft, set seat position, set lights, set NAV, set V-speeds V1 129, Vr 132, Vref + 40 = 170, Vref + 80 = 210, Red Command Bug at V2 - 139.
2. Takeoff Briefing: “This will be a left seat takeoff Runway 17, Flaps 5, Reduced Power Setting 2. If there is a problem prior to V1, call out the abnormality, I will make the decision to abort. If there is a problem after V1, we will take no action until 1,000 feet except for raising the gear. At 1,000 feet we will take care of the problem and return here to Shimojishima. The clearance is runway heading to 3,000 feet. Are there any questions?
3. “Taxi and Takeoff Checklist to the line”.
4. Receive takeoff clearance, “Continue Checklist”. Complete.
5. Advance power to 70%, engines stable, Push N1 switch on MCP, release brakes, call “Set Takeoff Power”.
6. V1, Vr, V2. Positive rate = “Gear Up”. Pitch for V2+15-25 (154-164).
7. At 500 feet, “Heading Select”.
8. At 1,500 feet, “Set Climb Power, Set Vertical Speed 1,500.”
9. When accelerating through Vref+40 (170), “Flaps 1, Set Speed 190, After Takeoff Checklist”.
10. At 3,000 feet, “Autopilot On, Prepare for the approach and let me know when it is set.”
11. If any turns given prior to cleanup, maintain configuration until wings level on new heading. “Heading Select, Set Heading xxx”. No turns below 500’.

Visual Approach – 1 time practice, then graded.

1. Brief Visual Approach. “Take the aircraft, maintain heading xxx, maintain altitude xxx. This will be a visual approach to runway 17. Vref is 130 kts. Please call out abeam the runway 17 threshold, we will fly for another 35 seconds, then turn base, then turn final and land, full-stop. Any questions? I have the aircraft.”
2. “Descent Checklist”
3. “Approach Checklist”
4. “Ready for Approach”.
5. On turning Crosswind, configure aircraft to Flaps 5. “Flaps 5, Setting Vref + 40”. Have aircraft configured BEFORE crossing the runway or being vectored onto downwind.
6. Crossing runway, or 2 miles from downwind, disconnect Autopilot and Autothrottles. “Disconnecting Autopilot. Disconnecting Autothrottles”.
7. Note runway deviation from course in DME. At 170 kts a 10 kt headwind is a .9 DME turn (1.1 off the runway centerline). A 10 kt tailwind is a 1.1 DME turn (0.9 off the runway centerline). Remember the number above the compass rose is your TRACK. Self-announce any corrections.
8. Command “Flight Director Off. Set Heading 349.”
9. Abeam runway threshold, “Time Check, Gear Down, Flaps 20, set speed Vref +20”, arm speedbrake.
10. Set Power 65%, 4 deg pitch.
11. At three green, “Landing Checklist”
12. At 35 seconds, begin right turn and begin 700 fpm descent. Command “Turning base. Flaps 30, Set Speed Vref + 5, set Heading 079/259”. Set power at 50% and pitch down to 2 degrees until on-speed, then 61%, pitch at 4 degrees.
13. Roll out on base, time 12-15 seconds, until “noodle touches line” or until 0.7 DME cross-track if headwind, .8 if a tailwind, begin turn to final, increase power 2% for turn to maintain speed and V/S at 700 fpm. Remember to look out window, this is a VISUAL maneuver.
14. Rolling out on final, look for VASI and align. At last 1,000 feet, allow aircraft to go 3 red over 1 white to land in TDZ.
15. At 20 feet RA, begin flare and reduce power to idle. At touchdown, thrust reversers deploy, smoothly lower nose to centerline, then max thrust until 80 kts, idle reverse until 70 kts then stow.

Normal Takeoff #2 – clean all the way to Flaps 0 and Vref + 80.

1. Takeoff Briefing. Command “Taxi and Takeoff Checklist”.
2. Advance power to 70% holding brakes, engines stable, push N1 button on MCP and release brakes, call “Set Takeoff Power”.
3. V1, Vr, V2, Positive Rate, “Gear Up”.
4. At 500 feet, command “Heading Select”.
5. At 1,500, Command “Set Climb Power, Set Vertical Speed 1,500”.
6. Clean up on schedule, at 140, Command “Flaps 1”. At 160, Command “Flaps Zero. After Takeoff Checklist”.
7. At 3,000 feet, command “Autopilot On”, check speed, heading, and altitude.
8. If given a turn in climb, do not reconfigure until wings level again unless speed already accelerating. No turns below 500 feet.
9. Command “Prepare for the Approach, let me know when it’s set.”

VOR Approach

1. “You have the aircraft, maintain heading xxx, maintain altitude xxx”.
2. Brief Approach: “This is the Shimojishima VOR Runway 17 Approach, Plate 13-1, effective 19 April 2000. Shimojishimia VOR is 117.1, inbound course is 172 degrees, tuned manually left and in Auto, tuned manually in right and in manual. We will cross the VOR at or above 2,000 feet and descend to 1,500 feet, remaining within 14 DME of Shimojishima for the turn. Outbound course is 337 degrees, with a right hand turn to 172 degrees. Please call 1 ˝ dot prior to course intercept. When on course inbound we will descend to minimums of 400 feet, set left and right. We need 400 feet ceiling and 1400 Meters visibility for this approach and we have both. Hi Intensity Airport Lighting System. Our VDP is 2.5DME from the Shimojishima VOR, Touchdown Zone elevation is 15 feet. The missed approach point is Shimojishima VOR station passage inbound. If we must execute the missed approach, it a right turn to intercept the 169 degree radial outbound climbing to 2,000 feet, then a right turn direct to the VOR and hold left with a 335 inbound course. 1,600 feet is the Minimum Safe Altitude all sectors of Shimojishima VOR. Do you have any questions?
3. “I have the aircraft, Flaps 1, Setting Vref + 60 (190), Descent Checklist”.
4. “Approach Checklist.”
5. “Ready for Approach”
6. When cleared direct to SJE, confirm PNF has set in CDU and SJE is white, call “Setting LNAV”.
7. 3-4 miles before SJE, “Flaps 5, Setting Speed Vref + 40” (170).
8. Descend so as to cross SJE at 2,000 if so assigned by ATC. Power idle for descent until below 2,000 feet. When ALT CAP, call “Setting next altitude”.
9. At SJE VOR, turn to heading 337, “synchronizing heading 337. Setting Vertical Speed down 500”. Power 50% pitch 3 degrees (autopilot is still engaged).
10. At ALT CAP, call “Setting next altitude, 400 feet”.
11. At 10 DME if LNAV has not commanded turn or at start of LNAV turn, “Setting heading 110. Heading Select. Gear Down. Flaps 20, Setting Speed Vref +20”. Arm Speedbrake.
12. At 3 green, “Landing Checklist”.
13. At 1 ˝ dots prior, “Setting LNAV”.
14. Established on VOR inbound course, Command “Autopilot is OFF, Autothrottles are OFF, Flaps 30, Set speed Vref +5, Set Vertical Speed down 1,000, set missed approach heading”. Set Power 50%.
15. At 700 ft, call “Set vertical speed 500”. Approaching Minimums reduce descent to 300 fpm. Set Power 61%
16. At ALT CAP, Command “Altitude Hold ON, Set Missed Approach Altitude”. Set Power 72%, 4.5 deg pitch.
17. Runway in sight, wait until VDP (2.5-2.7) or Red/White PAPI, call “Landing, remove my flight director”.
18. At 20 feet, flare slightly, power to idle. At touchdown, reverse idle, lower nose gear, then full reverse until 80 kts, idle reverse until 70 kts, then stow TR’s.