PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 13:26
Lear70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interview gouge, ladies and gentlemen, in 2 parts. Since I'm not going over, someone might as well benefit. This is as good as I can remember, done the day after I interviewed and, since I'm not 767 rated, some of the assumptions may be incorrect and hopefully some of the peeps currently flying there can jump in with corrections.

The fine folks at AJX / AJF have given out a lot of information in advance so you can be successful, so I don’t see any harm in providing the following guidance as I experienced in Tokyo.

Flew over JAL, fantastic experience, forgot what real customer service is like after flying the cattle cars in the U.S. 2 meals, one about one hour after takeoff, the other 2 hours prior to landing.

A couple of things to note: Needed cash: I got about $1,000 Yen out of the ATM at a 7/11 directly across from the hotel, they’re on the Pulse/Plus network and there’s 7/11’s all over the place. I got $1,000 Yen for about $93.20. Exchange rate at ORD at the currency exchange was $95 (a little worse than the ATM), so don’t worry about the exchange of currency. Coming back they pay $115 yen per $1 USD so you’ll lose about $0.20 cents per dollar coming back, no big deal if you use most of it.

Tipping is neither customer, expected, nor requested. They actually don’t like it / are confused by it. The Japanese consider it their jobs to do their required service at 100% of their ability without tipping as part of their salary. Forgot about that and had a waitress come running after me on day 1 for my $4 U.S. tip I left after a big dinner. 

Japan is approximately 15 hours ahead of U.S. Central Standard Time. Clearing customs was quick, no Visa required, simply told them I was there for personal/leisure, 3 days. The asked me my profession, I told them pilot, they asked no further questions and stamped me in. Customs similar, nothing to declare, move along.

Exit customs at Narita, turn right, head down the escalator, turn left, Information desk right in front of you that also sells bus tickets. Purchased one-way bus ticket to Haneda Airport, $35 Yen (about $31 USD). Busses are EXTREMELY prompt. Everywhere. So are the trains. You can’t be even one minute late, they’re gone, precision is one of the societal characteristics. 1 hour 15 minutes airport-to-airport. Off the bus, inside, downstairs one flight, taxi cab at east end of building, $20 Yen ($18 USD) straight to Toyoko Hotel, about 10 minutes taxi, 30 minute walk from the ANA building. They have continental breakfast each morning, Chocolate Croissants and coffee (no fruit) or Japanese style rice cakes and tea. Jonathan’s right across the road is like a Denny’s, with steak & eggs, plus normal Japanese menu items. Everything has pictures so you can just point, as does the very good restaurant on the corner, exit hotel turn left, go 100 yards on left upstairs. If you reach the police corner kiosk you’ve gone too far, it’s back 10 yards.

The train station is about 100 yards further down on the left past the police station on the corner. Very safe area, no worries about walking around day or night but there’s not much around except for food.

Very small hotel room, think cruise ship interior cabin. Barely enough room to walk around, hang your suit, small desk, 13” TV I never turned on, and a combination sink/shower toilet/bidet (watch out for the button marked “shower”). 