PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. ATC shortages; Already a Crisis?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2008, 23:41
slatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the current situation of the US ATC system to be something like the current Pilot situation. It is not so much a lack of people; it is a lack of competent experienced controllers that will become the problem. The FAA has proved they can hire all the people they need. They have set a system of schools graduating more than enough people to make up for the loses that are occurring. Combine that with the controllers coming out of the US military there is no lack of numbers. The problem is that there is little screening going on. After the strike in 1981 the FAA hired a large number of controllers, then, the percentage that made it from being hired to full performance in a center was around 20%. ( 50% washed out in OKC during initial training, 60% of those that made it to centers also washed out.) The CTI students have a almost 0% wash out rate in their schools, all they need is to show up. The FAA has a train to succeed attitude that just give trainees more time to train and allows them to memorize the sector so they can check out. The wash out rate is much less than it should be in my opinion. In our facility controllers with less than a year as a certified controller are giving OJT. While controllers with 10 to 20 years experience don’t train much because management thinks they are too hard on the trainees and are delaying certifications. Because of all of this, many controllers are making it through the system that would never have made it in the past. Throw in pay freezes, a generous pension plan (CSRS) for controllers hired before 1984, low morale and lousy working conditions, no wonder record numbers of controllers eligible to retire are leaving. I do believe retirements will slow down in 2009 when FERS retirement controllers start becoming eligible. FERS benefits are not as generous and many controllers will probably work extra years to build up their retirement.