PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amusing and curious incidents as a passenger.
Old 15th Jan 2008, 22:20
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Sweden isn't a nation renowned for tits humour but two incidents from the 90s on board SAS MD80s (why do the Ameicans call these lovely aircraft Mad Dogs??) stick in my mind

LHR to Arlanda with the usual complement of matronly but frequently charming and delightful cabin crew- uneventful flight until we 'land' with an appalling thump much tinkling of glassware and crockery and lockers bouncig open plus a few oohs and ahs from the pax. -As we slow down and turn of the runway the 'In charge' picks up the interphone and says in their lovely lilting English 'ladies and gentlement as you may have noticed we have landed in Stockholm' -one red face on the flight deck no doubt. Oddly enough I spent the next few years commuting around Europe on SAS who were a really class act in the early 90s and it always struck my how many soft landings the MDs made and I never experienced another Rchter scale registering one like that

Two years later leaving Turku(Abo to the Swedes) in Finland on a summer Saturday afternoon. MD 87 with about 15 people on board. Rocket into the sky on take off as one might expect and commence a very tight climbing 270 degree turn seemingly inside the airfield boundary (a bit of an exageration) before rolling out on a westerly heading with the airfield many thousand feet below- brief comment from the flight deck-'we enjoyed that and hope you did too'

Lovely planes the MDs and I'll be very very sad when the last SAS one points its long long nose skywards and climbs elegantly, noisily and slightly smokily away from Heathrow and the short haul skies get even more homogenous

PB