PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots to ballot for strike over OpenSkies
Old 15th Jan 2008, 20:38
Riverboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is full of postings by self-righteous pilots, who give the profession a bad name. BA pilots may be quite professional, as a whole, but many of those posting outrageous statements here don't deserve the accolade of "professional".

I don't work for BA, but I do fly with them sometimes. I am a professional pilot with another organisation. I find BA to be well run once you get into the aircraft: the pilots and the cabin crew seem to be of a different quality than the management.

But having said that, why are 50 or so of the several thousand strong pilots making such a fuss about a small operation, which as someone else has said, is unlikely to succeed. Bear in mind, BA management is crap. So why should a pokey operation with a couple of B757s be threatening to anyone?

Furthermore, Openskies is not BA. It is (I believe) a different airline completely, and not to be based in the UK. As such how can BA pilots legally strike? They work for BA, not Openskies, and whatever you think may happen in the future, you can't or shouldn't strike just because you think something MIGHT happen. That is anarchy.

And that is why I think the small proportion of BA pilots who have shown themselves up to be pretty appalling individuals in this thread should be scorned by their more sensible colleagues. There is an element of hysteria here, and this is not something I feel comforting if I am flying with BA.

Final point is that is it any surprise that pilots are often treated like lepers by airline management?