PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I believe he's holding it the wrong way round
Old 15th Jan 2008, 10:56
GeeRam

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Al R
The RAF only got them when a member of the DPG had a stoppage with one during an attempt to kidnap Princess Anne in London, back in the 70s. They decided to get rid of them, and only realised afterwards that they had made a blunder with servicing (I think). A small pin should protrude at the rear of the slide above the hammer indicating a cocking action, but it was reported that this occasionaly broke, causing possible feeding problems. I think I'm right in saying that the officer's PP wasn't modified.
Aah, Jim Beaton, my late Father knew him quite well from their days together in uniform on the beat, before Jim ended up in RP, and later on when my Father ended up in RP as well.

I do remember my Dad's conversations afterwards about "unreliable autos" and after the Princess Anne incident RP quickly changed to revolvers. This is the first technical explanation I've heard though, and your explanation seems to fit in with the reality, and a typical knee jerk reactions by the brass. I do have vague recollections of my Dad saying some of the RP officers were in favour of the PP's being replaced by Colt Commander's as they were compact enough, and they wanted the one shot stopping of the .45 as well as the proven reliabilty, and some didn't like the stronger 1st pull needed with the double action PP.
I suspect that idea got chucked out on cost and politics grounds.....

I am surprised the Met had enough PP's for RAF use (unless the RAF ordered more later?) as I would have thought only the relatively few Royalty and Ministerial CP officers had PP's at the time...maybe Special Branch as well...?

The DPG being uniformed still had issue revolvers at the time IIRC.