PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots to ballot for strike over OpenSkies
Old 15th Jan 2008, 07:51
ComeOnBALPA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MANBLK,
if PL goes ahead the way (i think) BACC want it to, there may or may not be a need for direct entry captains. This would depend entirely on whether enough mainline pilots wanted the position of captain on a PL 757. If not then BA would have to recruit externally for DECs.
If there are enough mainline pilots that want the PL commands then there would be no space for DECs. However, there would still be external recruitment - to fill the shoes of those having moved from a mainline fleet to a PL command.

Basically, IMO, all PL positions should be offered to eligible mainline pilots. If there is not sufficient interest then the remaining positions should be offered to external DEFOs and DECs as required.
Either way, expansion means external recruitment and opportunities for non-BA pilots such as yourself.

I am honestly interested to know if you (or anyone else) thinks this is an unfair point of view for an existing mainline pilot to take.

PS - Its important to mention that the main concern of most mainline crew (myself included) is not getting the opportunity of an early command or a foreign base on a 757.
What we are most concerned about is a Jetstar/Qantas situation developing and our ts&cs being permanently eroded.