PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR/ADF Position Fixing
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2008, 07:29
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ADF and situational awareness

I work as an instructor at a fairly big school; we have mostly Warrior IIIs with reasonably up-to-date kit; some even have Garmin 430, but also thankfully ADF. We benefit from having 3 NDBs in the local training area, one just north of our home field. I'd got into the habit of quietly using these for maintaining my situational awareness, we have complex airspace with differing levels around us. It seems my fellow instructors do as well, 'cos when handing the aircraft over top of the list of snags tends to be 'the ADF in XXX is on the blink again'. Invariably the panel for the ADF is over my side of the a/c so I can fiddle with it (sorry, Tune, Identify, Test) without distracting the student. Ever wondered why an instructor gets you to practice turns and roll out on a particular heading? They're using you as an autopilot! I do try and stay away from the actual beacons themselves, though as they can be a bit of a honeypot with other a/c actually using them for ADF tracking training.

Many ADFs also incorporate a timer, very useful for keeping you on track with flight duration, just hit the button as you roll onto the runway.

TheOddOne