PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX B-Scale Check and Trainers
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2008, 04:22
Lost_Cause

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check and Trainers

Numero Crunchero,

In response to a previous post of yours that appears to have been removed, I would just like to comment. You say "Why blame checker and trainers....why not blame me and every other FO that upgraded to captain, every SO that upgraded to FO, every DEFO for taking a job, every B scaler for joining, every A scaler for allowing B scales to be introduced without action etc etc"
Generally I agree with most of your comments on this forum. However, with regards to this post where you call for a stop in blaming individual groups, such as the B-scale Check & Training volunteers, for our current problems; I could not disagree more.

Firstly, to suggest that all groups within the worldwide pilot body should be held equally responsible in trying to solve our internal problems has previously been proven to be a totally flawed concept. I don't understand how we can still expect our problems to be solved by the DEFO's and DESO's that have nothing to do with our situation? These individuals should not be called upon to take a stand on our behalf when we don't even have the balls to fight our own fight.

Secondly, to suggest that SO's and FO's are as much to blame by taking promotions as these guys are for taking the C & T positions is wrong as well. Why do pilots generally join an airline such as Cx? Is it not because of career aspirations to eventually achieve a command through a normal and excepted seniority based promotion system? This is normal career progression. On the other hand, taking a C & T position, is completely different. It is not based on a seniority system; it is not equally available to all; and most importantly, it is completely voluntary. It is a personal choice to help the company out in exactly the same way that people choose to (or not) answer their phones, work on G-days, or fly the freighter. Definitely not helpful to our cause in the current environment.

The simple truth is that if people stopped taking these Training positions, it would probably put the ball back in our court. It would do more for our cause then asking individuals to not answer their phones. However, let's do everything we can. Don't voluntarily answer your phone when not required to do so; don't voluntarily work on G-days; and don't voluntarily help with the company expansion in Check & Training. The company is desperate... they need us for these training positions in the same way they need us on G-days.

It is our responsibility to stand firm and set the bar as high as possible in defense of future attacks on our COS. We should do this by not helping out in any way shape or form. If the company calls you with a request to work on a G-day; ask them how much it would cost to cancel the flight... and set you price accordingly. If the company calls to request your services in the Training department; ask them how much they are paying the extendees... and set you price accordingly. Better yet, don't answer any of their calls/requests. Make them negotiate with the AOA. This would benefit everyone in the long run by us setting the bar at the highest possible level. Don't take the job at the lowest common denominator. They desperately need us. Therefore, we should not volunteer for any more Training positions until they are willing to negotiate a better package for all.

Further, is the C&T position not considered a management position as well? Who is imposing these inferior Conditions Of Service on us? Is it not the management? How can we join them in their cause, while at the same time desperately trying to protect our position? By indirectly putting pressure on the company, we can empower the AOA negotiators. Until such time, volunteering our services to the company will only serve to further degrade our position.

The one thing that I do agree on is that we should stand united, and move forward together. So let's unite in one common direction. Their has to be a plan. Currently there appears to be no guidance from the AOA what so ever. However, there is an overwhelming call from the membership to "not" help the company out. Let's do this together... everyone.

It is not too late to get improvements. It has been said before... but they are surviving only on our goodwill.