PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2008, 16:30
en2r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any comments on Aer Arann's recent announcements

Looks like they are reducing their presence in Cork and basing two aircraft overnight.
I think the reduction was to do with a number of ATR 42s leaving the fleet (I think 2 or 3 left). There hasn't really been much of a reduction in capacity since Edinburgh is now operated by a Galway based aircraft and Cardiff is operated by a Dublin aircraft both on W patterns from the UK bases. From the timetables Cork is to get the third aircraft back for the Summer

Waterford-Amsterdam is doomed to failure. Without a codeshare and interlining agreement they won't have the pax to make a profit. Over half the passengers on ORK-AMS are connecting out of Amsterdam and few of the remainder will find Waterford more convenient.
I'd have to agree. There simply isn't enough point to point traffic from Waterford to support the route, especially when theres a twice daily KLM codeshare service 2 hours down the road. Also for business travellers, Aer Lingus's Cork service allows a day return, something not possible from Waterford.
As for Malaga, its an extremely strong service with daily flight from Cork by Aer Lingus this summer on top of the charter flights. I don't think it will really effect Cork since the Waterford service operated last summer yet I heard numbers on Cork-Malaga increased.