PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type I Diabetes And Flying
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 22:17
lucaberta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's Type 1 Insulin dependant, jut under 2 years, (no hypos so far requiring intervention etc)
your wife is of course well aware of the fact that type 1 diabetics nowadays are probably in better shape than a lot of "normal" pilots, given the number of checks we do for our health.

I do my blood tests every 90 days, and control my blood sugar a minimum of 5 times a day. And that does not take into account when I have to comply with the FAA special issuance of my 3rd class.

And with the introduction to market of Continuous Glucose Monitors, or CGMs, which provide readings every 5 minutes or even less, the excuse of a possible hypoglicaemia is now a load of BS.

http://www.dexcom.com/

Type 1 diabetic for 12 years, with my CPL/ME/IR/MCC done back then and high hopes to make it to the airlines, self-grounded at 27 with type 1 diabetes, got my 3rd class special issuance 2 years ago, happily flying in the US of A.

And I still fly microlights here in Italy, where medical regulations don't prohibit people with diabetes from flying.

12 years, never had an hypo.

No hopes that medical regulations in Europe will ever change. So I am more than happy to be flying in the US, and I do real IFR over there, without much hassle!

Ciao, Luca