PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot sick on QF flight
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 21:05
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We should have gone back rather than risk putting the aircraft into a CB for so long. No advice from the airline was forthcoming, it was left to the Captain to make the decision whether to carry on or not.
A now retired but very well respected BA training captain with whom I flew several times told me over a beer somewhere downroute of a total weather radar system failure just airborne out of Sydney, Australia bound for Bangkok. He elected to continue have assessed the options and risks as he saw them. A couple of hours out from Bangkok, in the dark, they inadvertantly flew into a Cb. There were injuries on board and in his words it was very frightening. He said he would never ever continue again without serviceable weather radar.

I have always remembered that conversation and to BA's credit, while they would perhaps not advise me of what to do should I ask in flight for example, I am 99.9% certain that if I did divert in such circumstances I would face no comeback.

I would also say that much has changed within BA since the November Oscar travesty. A cliché but I believe much has been learned since from that incident and others. Also it would appear that corporate responsibility and prosecution of executives in recent years might well have served to change matters too.