PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA34-200T Engine Handling?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 21:00
Simon150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA34-200T Engine Handling?

Just started my first twin rating (first hour) and am finding the engine handling to be a bit 'interesting'.

Take off and (for example) stall recovery thrust requires an MP of 39inches. Any higher than that is prohibited because it is possible to overboost the engine, but it is possible if you full open the throttle. I understand that its an issue with turbocharged engines that don't have a wastegate!?!?! All the aircraft I have flown so far use full throttle for take off/stall recovery etc.

Anyway, with the dual needle MP gauge, I found it very difficult to set take off power during the take off run, and had particulary difficulty getting 'full (29 inches)' power during stall recovery. Even moving the throttles together seemed to result in the dual needles of the MP gauge going off on their own. This seems to be made worse by the significant lag that the turbo has on the MP. On the Arrow, the throttle was very easy to set, and very direct, but that was normally aspirated.

The basic problem is that it seems to need a lot of concentration and throttle twiddling to get full power, when during this stage of flight (take off, go around etc) eyes should be out of the cockpit.

Basically, from those that have flown this aircraft, any tips? On go-around etc, when workload is particularly high do you accept that the power setting may overboost the engine for a short while if you don't get it spot on (orange light comes on), or does this really kill the engine?

Any tips would be useful.

Thanks, Simon