PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 13th Jan 2008, 10:16
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KNIEVEL77, I assume you'll be flying with Northumbria Helicopters up at EGNT. You'll be in very capable hands if you fly with Scott. Not sure who else is up there now as it's a while since I worked there. They have only had one accident up there which without doubt was due to pilot error. Low time PPL got it wrong. Many witnesses to the incident I think, including some Heli instructors who saw it happen. No big deal. Fly safe within your limits and well within a/c limitations and you will have no worries. Even if things do go a bit pear shaped, you will be trained how to deal with it.
The problems start when a low time PPL becomes over confident in his abilities, trying something he hasn't been trained for. ie hovering where he shouldn't (on top of fence posts, crocodiles heads etc???)
If you want advanced training, do it with an instructor, not from a Youtube video.
Most of all, have fun and enjoy it. It's a very rewarding thing to gain that PPL(H).