PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Engineering Apprenticeship
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2008, 04:47
Airspire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eshlon,

I wish you the best of luck to your endeavours with QANTAS Engineering. However, in light of the previous replies, you might want to look somewhere else with better career prospects and progression.

The Australian Defence Force would be a good move I would think. The Navy, Army and Air Force offer apprenticeships in Avionics, Mechanical and Structures. The equivalent of an Avionics streamed AME, is known as an Avionics Technician across the three services. The main difference is that the RAAF is all fixed wing, while the Navy (pays more) and Army operate all the rotary wing assets.

With the pay side of things, I don’t know many other occupations that you could walk straight into earning $49,000+ p.a., along with your training paid for, free health and dental care, subsidised accommodation and a few of the other perks that Eshlon mentioned before. Consequently, this drives your wage further when compared to living in civvy world as you don’t have many of the usual expenses. Not to mention that your pay keeps going up in healthy increments, and as a technician your pay can go up to $100,000 p.a. based on rank and posting. It’s the bigger picture that people haven’t seen here, maybe it’s because people only see $$$$$$$$$ signs.

Not to steer away from the aircraft trades, but the RAAF also has a mustering called a Communication and Electronics Technician, that might better reflect some of the work you have done in your apprenticeship and have a better chance at gaining RPL from already completed/related modules.

I wouldn't mind the Rarely Active After Four lifestyle on base, no hope of that though in the Navy or the Army!

Regards,