PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Generic inkjet cartridges
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2008, 22:15
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I suppose that this is a start, but ink run through dirty jets will carry the crud which blocked them in the first place so no doubt sophisticated filter systems will have to be introduced (more cost) to ensure the jets don't repeatedly block.
However what Clutch Cargo has stated really emphasies my point, and the violent competition in which our printer manufacturers are engaged probably prevents any rapid policy change (unless they get together and agree changes, but this would be a cartel - not nice). The introduction of the photosmart system seems to indicate that manufacturers realise the situation that they are in and are starting to do something about it.
I acquired an Epson 925 about five years ago when I started digital photography. It still works well and has never been fitted with Epson cartridges. These started at about £ 30 each and are now just less than £20. I pay less than £3 these days but acknowledge that I am not as fussy about exact colour balance as a professional photographer.
My printer is now getting worn in the paper handling department, it owes me nothing and will soon be due to be replaced. What to me will be of paramount importance will be the cost of the new one's consumables. I object to paying £20 for 30 pence worth of ink contained in an expensive sophisticated, chipped cartridge primarily designed to try to ensure that I cannot refresh my printer's ink supply with another 30p's worth!

Anyway, Clutch Cargo, thanks for responding to my comments, it is much appreciated, especially if my feelings and those of a lot of other people on this board get to the ears of some of the manufacturers.

P.P.