PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Qf Incident,where Will All This End
Old 12th Jan 2008, 18:31
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a similar, but slightly different take on the matter. I don't know how the process works at Qantas, but usually the VP's/directors/managers send the strategy and support down to the employees who make the work happen and it's the employees' role to do the work and pass updates back up the line. (I know, it's not perfect.) Even during cost cutting however, this process should continue to function. Something in this process is missing and Qantas should be extremely concerned to identify and rectify the situation asap.

First, where is the communication breaking down on changing from enclosed to loose coffee grounds? Who made the decision to use loose coffee grounds and what advice did he/she receive? Was the advice from a suitably qualified person? Was that advice received, and if so was it ignored and why?

Second, it is apparent that loose coffee grounds have been causing problems for some time. Being charitable and suggesting that the decision was taken by someone not totally familiar with the situation, who then was responsible for ensuring the appropriate decision makers were made aware of the problem and could then take appropriate action after implementation? What is being done to mitigate flight with blocked sinks now?

Third, who or what organization has been signing off or ignoring cracked drip pans? Were senior management aware of this and what action did they take to rectify or mitigate the situation? Were the supervisors who are supposed to see the big picture aware of the correlation between cracked drip pans and clogged sinks because it sounds like a few LAME's should have known the possible consequences? Were the concerns travelling back up the line? And what is being done now to fix the problem?

Finally, as others have suggested, what role did CASA play or not play in this and what are they doing now to avoid similar occurences in the future? Did anyone in Qantas who may have been in a position to realize the possible consequences of cracked drip pans and blocked sinks ever contact or try to inform someone in CASA? If not, why not? And how much action and resources is CASA currently employing to thoroughly research the incident?

Where's Richard Feynman? There should be a thorough open and independent investigation of this incident carried out either by CASA (with appropriate government funding) or a reputable third party. The investigation shouldn't be directed at castigating the Qantas management, but tasked with determining where the breakdowns in communications are occurring and checking into the fitness of the appointed supervisors to responsibly listen to advice from employees and make appropriate decisions. If there is no investigation, or simply an internal Qantas investigation, then I would expect business to operate as usual and it will only be a matter of time before another serious incident occurs. I would think a responsible and informed shareholder would not only welcome, but call for an independent investigation.

Last edited by Lodown; 12th Jan 2008 at 18:47.