PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 day check - logged as P1 or PUT?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2008, 17:19
Julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are very lucky that no one has challenged the situation. A problem could arise if your check pilot stops someone before they even get off the ground and that person asks for the authority that they have to comment on another qualified pilots ability, what training they completed and to what standard they are certified.
Absolute rubbish DFC! As someone has already pointed out, just because you hold a licence does not mean someone is going to let you use their aircraft. And as for your instructor argument, I do not see how an instructor carrying out the check lends any more credibility it is the choice of our group to lend the aircraft to outside parties based on their demonstration of their ability and competence. I bet you arent a driving test examiner but I bet you have got out a car before now and thought 'he/she isnt a very good driver/nutter/etc'?

It is also only works in group situations where the checking pilot is willing to pay part of the costs of the flight that they have been asked to check a pilot on.
Not is in our group, remember the hirer is logging the P1. In fact, there have been cases where, dependant upon the hirer, we have completely absorbed the cost of the check flight.

You could never let anyone else know that you did not think the pilot was up to scratch as such a statement could be defamatory and as a private pilot with no credibility in checking or training you would not be off to a good start.
Again rubbish! Anyone carrying out a checkflight with someone always informs the rest of the groupof the outcome. 'Not upto scratch' could be anything from a bad day and try again another time to no thanks! Being a PPL has absolutely no bearing on it at all, the PPL could have hundreds/thousands of hours on the particular aircraft. The interested party could be a CPL or FI and have no idea what he is doing as he hasnt flown one before. I think you are clutching at straws.

if that person goes and hires your neighbour's aircraft and wrecks it, your neighbour may reasonably ask you why you failed to let them know or why you failed to record the poor performance in the pilot's logbook.
I didnt realise that it was a requirement of basing our aircraft at the airport that we got to know all out neighbours and keep them abreast of any decisons made within our group

J.