PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amusing and curious incidents as a passenger.
Old 12th Jan 2008, 15:13
bwinsauer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 more

Aeromexico Saab, Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara to connect to a big jet to SAN. Normal take off then at about 2000' the AC suddenly cuts power to the engines and I experience that momentary feeling of weightlessness as we start descending. The CAP comes on and says something in Spanish that I can't understand. Guy next to me translates that a Mexicana 737 over ran the runway in Guadalajara and they closed the airport. We land back at P.V. and I got to drink at the bar for 2 more hours before we go again. When we land the 737 is still there at the end of the runway with collapsed nose gear sitting in the mud - a strange sight.

Several years ago, twin prop (don't remember the type, probably a Saab) SPI to DFW. Early morning flight with only about 4 pax. Very bad weather - female CAP comes on to tell us that we have to "go around the weather" and the flight will take about an hour longer than scheduled but not to worry as we have plenty of fuel. About 10 minutes later we hear and feel a loud "thump" from the rear of the plane then suddenly lose altitude very quickly. I am convinced that I am about to meet my maker. After a few minutes the CAP tells us that she suspects a piece of ice broke off the plane and hit the tail fin and that she "thinks" we will be ok. 2 hours later we have a safe landing at DFW - 3 hours in the air for a 1 hour flight.