PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 65 - New ICAO provision... MERGED THREADS
Old 12th Jan 2008, 15:08
MercenaryAli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct

I quit flying at 55 and spent most of my time "playing around" with my car collection, not I hesitate to add a fleet of Ferrari's just interesting cheapish cars. After getting under the feet of my wife for a while, she sent me out to "do something" - that something was almost 5 years with a UK Police aviation unit, it was hard work but great fun! The people I worked with were "top people" - at 60 I found myself "retired" once again as it was a SPA operation. For 6 months I "played around" again with my car collecton and kept looking at my garden thinking to myself "mmmm! maybe I should be growing roses!"

I was called out of retirement to advise and direct a small commuter operator in the Caribean who were struggling. When I arrived all the pilots were on the verge of quiting, the aircraft was grounded and money was running out. Now, 9 months later, we are operating 86 sectors a week / 45 hours block time with one Shorts SD3-60. The crew come to work with a smile on their face, ticket sales have increased by 300% and we shall be introducing a pressurized twin 34 seat turboprop into service by the second quarter of 2008

The point I am making here, is not "Hey look at me I am a genius" - it is simply just because I am over 60 does not mean I cannot make a contribution to aviation. I am Director of Flight Operations and Training, I conduct Sim Training, flight training and checks and occasionally I fly the "line". Trust me, being over 60 does not mean you are "done for" - I work about 80 hours a week (but dont the tell the Authority ha ha !) and enjoy EVERY moment of it. There is no better reward than a young F/O popping in to my office and saying "I'd just like to say how much we appreciate you being here Sir!" - and by his face and eyes I know he means it.

For all the "Blue eyed 2000 hour F/O's" who believe anyone over 35 is past it - look into the mirror and remember you to will be 60 one day!!