PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exporting Outlook, Firefox Personal Settings
Old 11th Jan 2008, 23:44
Clutch Cargo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Outlook 2007 and I am swapping information about once a week between my laptop and my desktop. I see there are several programs that let you keep both in "sync", but all I do is for example:

From my laptop let's say I

1. Do a file Export from within Outlook
2. I choose Personal File Folder (.pst)
3. I then select Personal Folders. I then check the box that says 'Include sub-folders'.
4. Give it a name and location to save. For me I always call my desktop Outlook1.pst and my laptop Outlook.pst just for convenience.
5. If I have an old pst file in the same location I either delete it or name it OLD or something. Reason being I always like a fresh completely new file, not one that is replacing or duplicating items.
6. Now I save the file. It can be large because I am saving all emails, contacts, the works. may take a minute. Mine is up to 500MB!
7. Then I do NOT import this into my Desktop (or for you your new PC). I merely find the location of my current Outlook.pst. For me the path is Cdocuments and settings/Clutch/local settings/application data/Microsoft/Outlook. In there you should see a default .pst file create for your new Outlook or one you have been using.

I just delete mine and drop in the new one from my laptop. I fire up Outlook and everything is there. Good to go until I need to go back to my laptop.

May seem time consuming but it sounds like you just might be doing this just once to set up your new PC. Hope that helps.