PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amusing and curious incidents as a passenger.
Old 11th Jan 2008, 21:59
drichard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was a fun trip.

Flying LON (can't remenber if it's LHR or LGW) to SEZ in 1997 with BA (747-200). We're all boarded and sitting (un)comfotably for the flight........

Intercom : "BING-BONG - doors to Automatic"

Our ears pop, so I assume tha cabin was pressurising, we settle down for TO when we get ...

Intercom : "BING-BONG - doors to Manual"

Me to Mrs drichard : "they've forgotten the captains sandwiches!"

1 min later

shortly followed by

shortly followed by

shortly followed by

Then silence.

By now I'm curious and so are most of the cabin. Then they open one of the doors and on walks a mechanic. We know he's a mechanic, he's covered in oil, is wearing a green dayglo jacket that's seen better days and is carrying a toolbox. He heads off towards the front.

30 minutes pass..... slowly ..... very slowly .... I need the loo !!!!

Suddenly, our friendly engineer deplanes, the doors are closed and we get ...

And we're off! Shorly after TO, an announcement from the FO goes along the lines ... "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, xxx here, we apologise for the delay in getting away, it was caused by the Captains' seatbely jamming with him in his seat".

It made us smile anyway.

Coming back was memorable for other reasons. 20 mins after TO we get the dreaded announcement "If there is a Dr. of medicine on board, could they please make themselves known to the cabin crew". At this point I expected us to either dump and return to SEZ or divert to somewhere like Nairobi. Fortunately, there were 3 Drs and the flight continued to the UK. It appeared that a passenger had collapsed and was now laid out in the rear galley! (I saw this with my own eyes).

Later, during the meal service I experienced one of the worst examples of british attitudes to foreigners. (Configuration was 3-3-3, I was in G, Mrs drichard was in H, and a french lady was sat in J). When the cabin attendant came to offer drinks, it became apparent the the lady in J spoke no english. I explained this to the CC who simply spoke a lot louder and slower (AKA Basil Fawlty). I speak pidgeon French and managed to translate, but I was totally ashamed by the actions of the CC. This flight was probably 50% english, 40% french, and 10% other nationalities, at the time it seemed inappropriate that the CC couldn't even offer a basic "Vin Rouge?" or "Vin Blanc" to the passenger.