PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you know you're an Ascoteer?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2008, 15:28
FFP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when the single seat (non auot-pilot equipped) fast jet pilots, due to fly on the same trail, sleep in transit accommodation on base!! That's the kind of stuff that doesn't make friends!
There's some good reasons for that

1) I did a trail with Jag's through AKT. Boss wanted everyone on base to cut down the transport time to and from hotel to maximise crew rest (probably because they had long days of flying with no autopilot )

2) AKT Ops try to keep CREWS together so when take off times slip everyone's in one place, makes it easier for the co pilot who needs to pay for everyone's room on one government credit card, it's easier for Base Transport to pick them up in one run. Given that, is it easier to house 4 single seat guys on base or the larger crew the tanker usually has.The crew don't decide or get to choose to go downtown; it's Accom office through AKT Ops that decide that before you get in. We use to call AKT Ops at report time in Brize and see where we'd be staying (if they knew by then) Trust me, if there's room on base (and the cleaner's have been in) that's where you stay. I actually prefer on base for a short stop (Kebab down the strip, cheeky Brandy Sour) but that's neither here nor there.

Hope that helps !!