PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 man long-haul. Pandora's box?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2008, 14:00
SFGDOG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down It's coming

From a senior manager, it is confirmed that we will have three crew long haul. Apparently CAD will increase the three crew limit to 14 hours with some restrictions such as day flight only.

The Cathay Puppets at CAD haven't realised that what makes it a day flight could be different for every crew member. Lets use a very common example: A European based Captain with a Australian based FO and a Hong Kong based SO. So whose local day do the geniuses at CAD think it should be based on?

Apparently the total scientific rationale it is based on by CAD is "it's only an extra hour". So the question begs, at what point does the "extra hour " become too tiring (how many straws do break the camels back)? When did the research that the current AFTL's were based on become irrelevent? If the CAD had only asked or listened to the Pilot body and even bothered to look at the fatigue issue that exisits with the current three crew night flights to Australia (look at the where and when FDAP events are occurring) they just might have made an informed decision but it might have not suited their master.

I just can't wait to see them justify scientifically in court if the HKAOA decides to pursue the issue that way. I think the CAD will look very silly, again. They are probably hoping that won't happen under the current leadership. But they won't be leading in 6 months and I don't think the new leadership will be as quite as accommodating.